Dating income residual site
Around 1870 this fleet changed to gaff ketches that stayed out at sea for months, using ice for preservation of fish produced by flooding local fields in winter.
Fleeting involved fish being ferried from fishing smacks to gaff cutters by little wooden ferry-boats.
Historically an ancient parish in Essex, its economic history is characterised by a shift from fishing and farming to market gardening and industrial development south of the River Thames.
The railway station opened in 1854 and has been served by the London Underground since 1908.
A charter issued between 11 confirms the ancient market right.
The market declined in the 18th century but has since been revived.
As part of the suburban growth of London in the 20th century, Barking significantly expanded and increased in population, primarily due to the development of the London County Council estate at Becontree in the 1920s, and became a municipal borough in 1931, and part of Greater London in 1965.
In addition to an extensive and fairly low-density residential area, the town centre forms a large retail and commercial district, currently a focus for regeneration.
However, the phrase first appeared in the 20th century.) in the Becontree hundred of Essex.
At the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1536, Barking Abbey was demolished; the parish church of St Margaret, some walling and foundations are all that remain.
The parish church is an example of Norman architecture; Captain James Cook married Elizabeth Batts of Shadwell there in 1762, and it is the burial place of many members of the Fanshawe family of Parsloes Manor.
It was divided into the wards of Chadwell, Ilford, Ripple and Town.
A local board was formed for Town ward in 1882 and it was extended to cover Ripple ward in 1885.